MikroKopter - Forum » Newbie » Controlling over 4G/LTE/UMTS cellular

Controlling over 4G/LTE/UMTS cellular

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

Autor Neuer Beitrag
Mitglied
Hi!

I'm going to start my master's thesis, in which I'm planning to fly multicopter over LTE. I don't care about latency as I believe "carefree" or "auto level" should keep the copter stable, and connectivity as I'm going to use private network. And I ain't planning on doing any fancy tricks, just see how it reacts. The results are going to be used for optimizing 5G networks in the future, maybe making it a common thing to use cellular for controlling a copter.

I have already found tons of information about serial connection, wifi modules etc. So I believe it should be possible to make LTE receiver and send the information to the FC. But the main point on my thesis is not on making the LTE controlling work, so I would like to have as much as possible done for me. ;)

Now my main question is, has there been any successful projects yet? Can someone help me developing such method?

Best Regards,
Lassi
Mitglied
If you can establish a serial link channel through a dataconnection, you should be golden!
Mitglied
I found a quite good tutorial how to do that, so I think I'm golden! ;)
Mitglied
@Antiec
In line with what you plan to create there exist a telemetry by mobile phone network: SkyDrone. The system is not directly compatible with MikroKopter system. It would require a protocol translation of the debug bus (MK telemetry data).
Mitglied
Thank you Foersom. I have known about the SkyDrone, but it cannot be used for controlling, which is my main job. I was thinking about having it for camera / telemetry thought. So it is very valuable information to know it isn't directly compatible. Do you know if the protocol translation would be hard to do, or very easy and fast?
Mitglied
Antiec meinte
Do you know if the protocol translation would be hard to do, or very easy and fast?

I do not think it will be that difficult the debug log output of MK is defined public. That is why there is no fewer than 3 OSD for MK made by third parties. The SkyDrone use MAVLink, I believe it is something public defined and open source. If you have a micro-controller that can read / write on serial ports it should be possible to make a protocol translation.

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

MikroKopter - Forum » Newbie » Controlling over 4G/LTE/UMTS cellular