MikroKopter - Forum » Construction » Do you like the connectors on new mikrokopter boards (from FC 3.0 to GPS) ?

Do you like the connectors on new mikrokopter boards (from FC 3.0 to GPS) ?

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

Autor Neuer Beitrag
Mitglied
Hi
I just sow the new FC 3.0 and realize that it has the same connections to GPS integrated with compass as in old NC 2.1 to external compass. I don't know what are your experiences with this connectors but I have bed :( I had an external compass on an arm of octocopter and from time to time during flight connection from external compass to NC was lost. On the ground connection was ok only during flight because of vibration, connection in connector of external compass was interrupted. External compass was located on plate with vibration dampening. After the flight all connectors were connected they didn't fiscally disconnected. I moved whole NC with internal compass to the same place on the boom and disconnected external compass and now copter is working ok. So my experience from using external compass is that it has bed connector. I don't like that now in new FC and in GPS integrated with compass we have the same connection :( It's also easy to damage this connectors and cables when you are often connecting them and disconnecting. I think Mikrokopter should change this connectors for something bigger and safer to use.
Mitglied
darekbog meinte
It's also easy to damage this connectors and cables when you are often connecting them and disconnecting. I think Mikrokopter should change this connectors for something bigger and safer to use.

The connector is called Molex PicoBlade.

I am not too happy about these connectors either. Their advantage is that they are small but they are not good for many plug-unplug cycles.

http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-post551217.html#post551217

I do not have a perfect solution how to survive PicoBlade connectors, but for connections where you have to change it often, perhaps you have to make your own cables. Take one PicoBlade cable cut it and solder on you own larger connector in the middle.

I have done similar with video connectors on the micro-copter to make them all same connector, so I can easily change and mix and match between cameras, OSD board and video transmitters.

Note: Molex PicoBlade looks the same as Hirose DF13, but they are NOT the same.

Do you want more technical details?
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 23.02.2016 01:21. »
Mitglied
I have never had a problem with the connectors. Why do you frequently disconnect them ?
Mitglied
I will have to disconnect them often because from time to time I am folding the octocopter and the GPS3.5 is located on boom. Ofcourse other connection on cables in the middle is solution.
Mitglied
darekbog meinte
the ground connection was ok only during flight because of vibration, connection in connector of external compass was interrupted.

Then you have huge Vibrations in your System. I also use the External Compass on the boom, but never had problems with Vibrations or Molex connectors either.
Mitglied
Marvin_0 meinte
Then you have huge Vibrations in your System. I also use the External Compass on the boom, but never had problems with Vibrations or Molex connectors either.

How many times have you had to plug / unplug the Molex connector on the External Compass? Once? 5 times? 20 times?
Mitglied
wizprod meinte
I have never had a problem with the connectors. Why do you frequently disconnect them ?

Molex PicoBlade are very delicate. These tiny connectors are not for practical use with regular plug / unplug cycles, like what you need when you work outdoor changing between different cameras or connecting UART cable which will be the case for FlightCtrl V3. They are meant for closed electronics that are assembled once and only disconnected in a repair lab a limited number of times.

When you read the data sheet they are measuring how the insertion / withdrawal force is reduced after 6 and 30 plug cycles. They do not measure it after 500 plug / unplug cycles. Can you guess why?

Insertion / withdrawal force, p. 7
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ps/PS-51021-010.pdf

I cannot find the expected total number of plug / unplug cycles, but for the similar sized Hirose DF13 plug is rated for only 50 plug-unplug cycles! :( I think it is similar for Molex PicoBlade. :?

DF13 receptacle, click on catalog
https://www.hirose.com/product/en/products/search/?select_category=product&keyword=df13
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 23.02.2016 12:43. »
Mitglied
About Molex PicoBlade and ports on FlightCtrl V3.0.

When we fly with the micro-copter we are changing around with camera connections 5-10 times per day. When you work outdoor it is difficult to be careful with too tiny connectors. Further when it is winter, the ground is muddy or uneven, it is dawn with limited light, or all of the above, it is difficult to work with tiny delicate connectors.

Some of the ports is not needed to change often but other ports will require frequent plug / unplug. I have tried to review the frequent used ports below and how I would use them.

Port CAM on FlightCtrl side 1 is a Molex but luckily this is repeated on 3 pads where a pin row (100 mil pitch) can be solder to give the same connection as "Transistor Out" on FlightCtrl V2.x.

For the port IO2 with the (Canon) hot-shoe connection there appear to only be a Molex connector. It would have been good if this output also had 2 pads where one could solder a 2 pin row. The alternative will be to cut a Molex cable in the middle and add a better lasting plug to the 2 half cables.

Same with I2C port for CamCtrl on FlightCtrl side 2. I would need to cut a Molex cable and add a better lasting plug in the middle.

For IO1 and Ext2 port there is no clear description yet, so use unclear.

Perhaps the UART2 port will also become port where plug / unplug will also be needed often. In that case I would need to cut cable and add plug.

On FlightCtrl side 3, there is the "UART Update" port. This one is used for OSD board and WI232, Bluetooth or other data radio. The port is also used for software update of the navi-ctrl MCU chip, perhaps also for software update of flight-ctrl MCU chip. Lots of plug / unplug will happen here. Luckily this connector is repeated on Pads Serial where 2x5 pin row can be soldered and then the normal flat cable can be used. Also MKUSB with flat cable can be used for software update.

If you do frequent software beta updates or download from SD card over cable I would recommend to use the old MKUSB (V1) with 10 pin flat cable, rather than the new MKUSB V3 with Molex.
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 23.02.2016 12:48. »

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

MikroKopter - Forum » Construction » Do you like the connectors on new mikrokopter boards (from FC 3.0 to GPS) ?