MikroKopter - Forum » Electronics » Mikrokopter and Conformal Coatings - Any recommendations?

Mikrokopter and Conformal Coatings - Any recommendations?

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

Autor Neuer Beitrag
Mitglied
Hi

I plan to protect my MK electronics - newly repaired - using a conformal coating (too many past problems resulting from vibrations).

Which is preferable - an acrylic based coating or a silicone based coating?

Other than connectors, which components / sensors should be masked before applying the coating?

Dvo
Mitglied
Don't do that! It's not necessary.
They will not repair it, when coated!
Mitglied
Soldering through the coating must be possible. If not repairing is impossible.

Do not coat the altitude, acc, gyro sensors.

Regards

Urs
Mitglied
dwu meinte
I plan to protect my MK electronics - newly repaired - using a conformal coating (too many past problems resulting from vibrations).

Which is preferable - an acrylic based coating or a silicone based coating?

Other than connectors, which components / sensors should be masked before applying the coating?

I have heard about people doing this. It has sound like a good idea, but I think MikroKopter prefer you do NOT do it. I found this photo in the Hall of Shame for MK electronics problems:

http://gallery3.mikrokopter.de/hall_of_shame/IMAG0192

About vibrations, the electrolyte capacitors on the main board (power board and BL-Motor-Ctrl) are originally glued on the side and should be glued if you change the components. If you do not glue them the legs will break after weeks / month use due to millions of vibrations.
Mitglied
I use plastik70, but it´s to prevent shortcuts and corrosion, not to protect from vibrations. If you have vibrations, try solving that problem instead of patching it with chemical products. Even if components do not get loose, vibrations are far from optimal for a board with accelerometers and gyroscopes wich measure really small movements to compensate

To use this you must cover all ports, barometer, buzzed and probably some other part I don´t remind right now, obviously.
Mitglied
http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/spraying-the-mikrokopter-boards.222/page-3
Mitglied
Thanks for all the advise and links.

I think it fair to say we are dealing with "normal" levels of vibration - but there´s always some wind up there.
The problem is that we (and others I know of) have experienced capacitor legs on the main board coming out after only a few hours of flight - which is far too few, as well as other issues related to vibrations and wind (magnetic current effects). not to mention eventually corrosion.

the freeflysystems link that thesmokeshow recommends has a broken link to a document "rgg_spraying_Mk_boards_with.pdf"

Anyone know where one can get hold of a copy?
Mitglied
dwu meinte
I plan to protect my MK electronics - newly repaired - using a conformal coating

I would like to hear from MikroKopter what they would recommend to use and what should be avoided.

I hope HolgerB will give some information.

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

MikroKopter - Forum » Electronics » Mikrokopter and Conformal Coatings - Any recommendations?