MikroKopter - Forum » Electronics » Position of FC/NC on a frame

Position of FC/NC on a frame

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

Autor Neuer Beitrag
Mitglied
Hello All,

I am wondering if the FC/NC couple must be in the very centre of a multi rotor or if they can be placed elsewhere, off centre.

For example, normally I would install the FC/NC/GPS in the centre of the frame. There:

externer Link:
User image

But I have a lot of free space inside the frame and I would be happy to find a safe place elsewhere for the electronics.

Underneath where it is on this photo for example, in between the two carbon plates. On the good side, it would be much more centered on the Z axis, and still good on the Y axis, but on the down side it will be off centre on the X axis.

externer Link:
User image

what are your views about this ?

Thx.
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
I am wondering if the FC/NC couple must be in the very centre of a multi rotor or if they can be placed elsewhere, off centre.

For example, normally I would install the FC/NC/GPS in the centre of the frame. There:

But I have a lot of free space inside the frame and I would be happy to find a safe place elsewhere for the electronics.

Underneath where it is on this photo for example, in between the two carbon plates. On the good side, it would be much more centered on the Z axis, and still good on the Y axis, but on the down side it will be off centre on the X axis.

what are your views about this ?

You can for sure place the GNSS (GPS) antenna off the center, even out on an arm. It just needs free view to the sky.

With the FlightCtrl and NaviCtrl I have not tried it, but I think you can place them to the side of the center.

One important point, the boards must be oriented with the right corner pointing forward. As far as I can see from your landing gears you have placed the boards 45 degree wrong.

Next time you make photos please make a bit more distance so it is clear where the front arm is.
Mitglied
Hi Foersom,

I will try both locations, in the center, where it is installed now, and when I will be happy with the stability, I will try a different location. Thanks for your advice.

My photos were really imprecise, you are right to point it out. I took some more photos to indicate the real proper placement

The corners with the arrow on the boards are always installed point to the front direction. I started with a MK Hexa XL, it was a good way to learn. I use different machines today, but without one arm towards the front. If I remember well the settings are Hexa-X, Dodeca and the baby is a X-8.

This is how the FC/NC are installed on the "Baby" :

externer Link:
User image

externer Link:
User image

externer Link:
User image

externer Link:
User image

The dodeca and hexa are like this, two front arms instead of one.

externer Link:
User image
Mitglied
Looks good!
Maybe you will need a external Compass more upside the lipos
Mitglied
I have the external Compas inside the GPS, on the Dodeca it is about 2cm above the top of the lipos. On the X-8 the are on the same level at the moment, it is vital that the compas be much higher than the lipos ? even if I fly with the lipos in safe bags ?
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
I have the external Compas inside the GPS, on the Dodeca it is about 2cm above the top of the lipos.

That is little distance. Perhaps you will get compass problems.

papymouzot meinte
On the X-8 the are on the same level at the moment, it is vital that the compas be much higher than the lipos ?

Try to place compass >10 cm from power cables and batteries. On the Dodeka if orange is front and battery cables are towards front end, perhaps best placement for compass is at the back between the two back arms.

Alternatively you can place compass on a folding tower. But it does not looks so nice.

papymouzot meinte
even if I fly with the lipos in safe bags ?

What is a safe bag?
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte

I see that you do not have OSD board (Epi-OSD or Smart-OSD). I cannot live without it.

You have the side boards for holding batteries above deck.

What size are they?

Where can you buy them?

The four screws mounting them stick up with a round head. If you tie down battery to the plate, you must make dents in the battery? Is this not a problem?
Mitglied
Foersom meinte
papymouzot meinte
I have the external Compas inside the GPS, on the Dodeca it is about 2cm above the top of the lipos.

That is little distance. Perhaps you will get compass problems.

Ah !

The Dodeca as it is on the Photos has spent most of it's life as a Hexa. The Electronics was exactly as it is today, with one BL-V3-Hexa instead of Two. Back then I had the external compass with the NC 2.1 but I only had GPS 2.1 so the compas was placed elsewhere on the chassis, near the back, but still on the edge of the centre plate. I am trying to find some old photos. I was told by then that the placement was bad but I had little options as the compass had to be aligned with the axis of the multi. I was told that inside the gps v3 was a perfect position. On the Dodeca it may not be so easy to lift it up as I would really like the electronics to stay in a relatively safe place within the crash cage. I have not had compass errors on these machines, but maybe you mean that the precision will be affected I suppose ?

Foersom meinte
Try to place compass >10 cm from power cables and batteries. On the Dodeka if orange is front and battery cables are towards front end, perhaps best placement for compass is at the back between the two back arms.

Alternatively you can place compass on a folding tower. But it does not looks so nice.

Yes, orange is Front on the Dodeca. Ont this unit and it should be the same with the new baby, the power wires are / will be plugged in connectors just under the lipo holding plates. It will be very very difficult to manage the 10cm distance unless using a "Folding tower" Wasn't this folding tower option built to be used with DJI products ?

Foersom meinte
What is a safe bag?

The anti-fire Lipo bags, they appear to be made with a sort of knitted fire-proof material, it appears to be metallic a little. I very often fly above a Pine Tree forest and I don't wasn't to generate a big fire in case of accident. I hope the bags will help !
Mitglied
Foersom meinte
papymouzot meinte

I see that you do not have OSD board (Epi-OSD or Smart-OSD). I cannot live without it.

My pictures are not so good then :) I do have Epi-OSD and Smart OSD boards but they are still new and unused. They are in my workshed inside a box.

For the moment I only use the Telemetry returned by the Graupner Hott system. I also use the Wi232 modules with the Mikrokopter Tool.

I have the range Extender, I have tested it with a Samsung tablet but it was a deception, I found the software not being as great as I hoped. I much prefer the simple interface my kids have on their Phantom 3 Pro.

Foersom meinte
You have the side boards for holding batteries above deck.

What size are they?

Where can you buy them?

The four screws mounting them stick up with a round head. If you tie down battery to the plate, you must make dents in the battery? Is this not a problem?

The side boards came with the X8 Kit, they can be purchased separately with or without the title aluminium standoffs from any shop selling Gryphon Dynamics parts.

I will measure them tomorrow for you, I'm in my bed now ;)

I have the same mounting "issues" on all my multis :) But they are not so much of an issue. I put thick velcro on the boards and velcro on the lipos and lipo bags. This way the lipos can't move sideways out of the velcro straps. and the height the telco takes removes possible friction issues with the lipos.

More photos tomorrow !

c.

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

MikroKopter - Forum » Electronics » Position of FC/NC on a frame