MikroKopter - Forum » Construction » Extension PCB - Leds - Hilfe !!! :)

Extension PCB - Leds - Hilfe !!! :)

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

Autor Neuer Beitrag
Mitglied
So... meine erse kopter ein MK Hexa XL war :) and I had BL-V2 inside and to use LEDs on the arms, I bought and used the extension PCB. As far as I can remember (normally it is 3 minutes ago :) ) I plugged it in and used it, I can't recall having had any issues. It worked. Punkt.

I moved my electronics to a Cinestar 6 frame (new, or like new) and of course I wished to re-install the LEDs. But impossible to see the damn leds ON now !

I checked with the oscilloscope, I have a signal on the FC 2.5 connector which I use to connect the Ext PCB. It does correspond to the leds on the FC and of course, to what is programmed in mk-tools.

I can see however that the signal is 0 -5v and not 0 +5V I thought the Ext-PCB was gone, changed it... same issue with a new one, I checked with another FC, same issue. I checked with the other FC and a BLV3 controller and the led control works fine. The leds on the Ext-Pcb (s) do not lit.

Where can the problem come from ? An idea ?

Thanks
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
So... meine erse kopter ein MK Hexa XL war :) and I had BL-V2 inside and to use LEDs on the arms, I bought and used the extension PCB. As far as I can remember (normally it is 3 minutes ago :) ) I plugged it in and used it, I can't recall having had any issues. It worked. Punkt.

I moved my electronics to a Cinestar 6 frame (new, or like new) and of course I wished to re-install the LEDs. But impossible to see the damn leds ON now !

I checked with the oscilloscope, I have a signal on the FC 2.5 connector which I use to connect the Ext PCB. It does correspond to the leds on the FC and of course, to what is programmed in mk-tools.

The Extension PCB can be used for switching LEDs on / off. LEDs from MikroKopter are normally in strips intended for 12-14 V, but do work up to 16.8 V. When used on a MK with LiPo 4S it is not needed to use a DC-DC step down regulator (voltage regulator), so the IC2 does not have to be installed, just a bridge wire to connect the battery input to output is needed.

On a MK copter with LiPo 6S (20-25 V) that is too high for the LEDs, a DC-DC regulator on IC2 must be installed. Perhaps you have destroyed the LED strips, try to connect them to their normal voltage (12 V?) with a power supply.

The MK Hexa was a LiPo 4S, but I presume some other of your copters are 6S?

papymouzot meinte
I can see however that the signal is 0 -5v and not 0 +5V I thought the Ext-PCB was gone, changed it... same issue with a new one, I checked with another FC, same issue. I checked with the other FC and a BLV3 controller and the led control works fine. The leds on the Ext-Pcb (s) do not lit.

On the FlightCtrl the Extension PCB is connected to the special Transistor Output port. Note that this is not a PWM servo output, but rather an output with two on / off switches (pin 1 and 3) and the middle wire is 5 V, not GND as you probably expected. So when you measure it, you get a reverse polarity.
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 27.08.2016 16:08. »
Mitglied
I think I know what is the Extension PCB, I have had one on my Hexa for quite a while, probably over two years, maybe three in fact. :) I never imagined using 12V led strips in 16V+. Anyway, this isn't the subject.

The led strips I am using are 12V yes, and they are plugged on the S1 and S2 connectors on the extension PCB after the Traco. This is the role of the extension PCB. The Ext PCB is powered by the LiPo.

The led Strips all work fine when powered with 12V.

On the scope, I get the correct signal 5V on the middle pin and GND on the two side pins, TTL level, it was a mistake earlier on. I get exactly what is expected from the FC boards, but the Extension PCB do not seem to like me anymore, the worst thing is that I did not even unsolder the connectors, they are exactly as they were when they were on the Hexa XL.

For the moment, I only used the 4S packs on the Cinestar. All the other copters are on 6S, but all others have BLV3 ESCs. The Leds are then plugged on the BL-Ctrl V3 Led ports.

I could understand if I made a mistake and one Ext PCB was damaged, but I have two Ext PCB not working now... :( :( sad !!
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
I think I know what is the Extension PCB,

I am sure you know that. I am sorry I write this way, so to explain as general as possible in order that also other people later can search in the forum and learn from solving earlier problems.

papymouzot meinte
The led Strips all work fine when powered with 12V.

At least something still works. ;)

In general to find hardware errors try to separate and simply what is tested.

If Extension PCB is connected to LiPo battery, but not connected to LEDs. Does the Traco pin 3 output 12 V?

If Extension PCB connected to Transistor Out port, but not connected to LEDs, does the S1 and S2 on Extension PCB change according to the state of the Transistor Out?

When Extension PCB and LEDs connected, but no LiPo, do a continuity check (FR: test de passage) with multimeter from LiPo negative pole to negative of LEDs. Perhaps a wire broken.
Mitglied
Foersom meinte
If Extension PCB is connected to LiPo battery, but not connected to LEDs. Does the Traco pin 3 output 12 V?

YES

Foersom meinte
If Extension PCB connected to Transistor Out port, but not connected to LEDs, does the S1 and S2 on Extension PCB change according to the state of the Transistor Out?

NO

Foersom meinte
When Extension PCB and LEDs connected, but no LiPo, do a continuity check (FR: test de passage) with multimeter from LiPo negative pole to negative of LEDs. Perhaps a wire broken.

Continuity Test OK

Leds on Extension PCB do not lit anymore to reflect Output port led on FC.

WORST:

If I connect Ext PCB to FC, I connect Led strips to S1 or S2 and I apply 12V to S2 or S1 the leds on the PCB start working, and if I apply 12V to S2, Leds connected to S1 lit to the sequence defined for S1 in MK tools and vice-versa, when I apply 12 to S1, Leds connected to S2 lit to the sequence defined for S2 in MK tools regardless if I apply +LiPo to the + connector...

Something is broken on my Ext-pcb, right ?
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
Leds on Extension PCB do not lit anymore to reflect Output port led on FC.

WORST:

If I connect Ext PCB to FC, I connect Led strips to S1 or S2 and I apply 12V to S2 or S1 the leds on the PCB start working, and if I apply 12V to S2, Leds connected to S1 lit to the sequence defined for S1 in MK tools and vice-versa, when I apply 12 to S1, Leds connected to S2 lit to the sequence defined for S2 in MK tools regardless if I apply +LiPo to the + connector...

Something is broken on my Ext-pcb, right ?

Did you solder the PCB yourself?

How did you check the assembly and soldering? Visual inspection with magnifying glass (FR: loupe)? Component by component check?

Do you have photos of front and back side of Extension PCB?

Are the LED1, LED2 and TCMT1106 (opto-coupler) on the PCB in the correct direction?
Mitglied
Hello,

I bought them already soldered, and at least one of them worked fine on my Hexa XL for quite a while.

I checked nothing as it worked. I will take photos in a short while and post them, I need to remove the protective thermo retractable cover from them;

c.
Mitglied
Here are the pics, I soldered the wires and the Traco myself, it could be better, I know...

externer Link:
User image

externer Link:
User image
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
Here are the pics, I soldered the wires and the Traco myself, it could be better, I know...

Good that you show the photos that helps.

On the front side with Traco. The red and black wire soldering at S1 looks a bit messy. Check if there is a short circuit there. I recommend to redo that wire soldering.

Looking on the backside (with FET1 and FET2) you can see that the OK1 (opto-coupler) is NOT installed, compare with wiki photo with white component. However a little green two pin component has been installed in stead from pin 1 to pin 2 (close to SJ1 marking). The PCB can then NOT be used for photo shutter release. Whether the S1 output for LED switching works depends on what the green component is. I do not know, maybe a LED, maybe a diode, maybe a resistor. Please ask the person who soldered it, why he did not install the supplied opto-coupler component.

Can you set you LED light switching to use S2? That is simpler circuit because it does not involve the missing opto-coupler. I think you managed to get that working.

Direction of LED1 and LED2. From the second photo with front side I am not able to see if the direction of the LEDs are correct, because light is reflected off the surface. With a magnifying glass try to compare to the LEDs on the wiki photo. Likely the LEDs are in the correct direction.
Mitglied
Again, this Ext PCB worked fine for a couple of years as it is shown on the pictures, I changed nothing. The wires were soldered like this over two years ago. I will check the component installed instead of the opt and let you know. I will also make photos of the second Ext PCB.
Mitglied
The Green component is a strap, 0 Ohm resistor. I checked soldering and redone most of them just to be on the safe side, but this Ext PCB doesn't like me. It still doesn't work. I have ordered some similar Mosfets just in case. I have removed the Traco and put a strap instead, it doesn't work any better... The circuit is very simple, it is difficult to imagine what could go wrong.
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
The Green component is a strap, 0 Ohm resistor. I checked soldering and redone most of them just to be on the safe side, but this Ext PCB doesn't like me. It still doesn't work. I have ordered some similar Mosfets just in case. I have removed the Traco and put a strap instead, it doesn't work any better... The circuit is very simple, it is difficult to imagine what could go wrong.

Have you connected the board to the LEDs, but not connected to the Transistor Out port. Manually connect pin 1 or pin 3 to GND. Can you turn LEDs on / off?

For the micro-copter where it does not work, have you checked the settings of the Output page and compared it to the hexa-copter where it works?
Mitglied
Good afternoon,

Your first question probably woke something in me and might have won the "question of the day award". I did some tests just now on my first Ext.PCB, removed TraCo, put a strap, checked again the soldering, did some checking with a Lab psu, and of course when the BL board is powered with one unit and the Ext.PCB powered by another one, it doesn't work. But when they are powered by the same, it works. I am not really OK today, my illness takes control over at times and today is one of these days when I am not really in charge of my brain and my thoughts/memory.

Well, I can't tell you what I have done this morning, but what I can say is: it all works fine now, all Ext.PCB work just fine. I am really sorry not to be able to say why :(

I can say thank you for your patience however, thank you for your time, for your assistance, and of again for your patience !

Charles
« Bearbeitet von papymouzot am 30.08.2016 16:55. »
Mitglied
papymouzot meinte
Your first question probably woke something in me and might have won the "question of the day award". I did some tests just now on my first Ext.PCB, removed TraCo, put a strap, checked again the soldering, did some checking with a Lab psu, and of course when the BL board is powered with one unit and the Ext.PCB powered by another one, it doesn't work. But when they are powered by the same, it works. I am not really OK today, my illness takes control over at times and today is one of these days when I am not really in charge of my brain and my thoughts/memory.

Well, I can't tell you what I have done this morning, but what I can say is: it all works fine now, all Ext.PCB work just fine. I am really sorry not to be able to say why :(

I can say thank you for your patience however, thank you for your time, for your assistance, and of again for your patience !

Good that you found and solved the problem.

Sometimes when things just do not want to work, it is best to sleep on it, and next day restart from the beginning rechecking what is working and what is not working. ;)
Mitglied
True, but my life looks a bit like "groundhog's day"... short term memory decided to pass on me :) But I am quite happy indeed that it works...

Next issue for the same copter than the leds, one gimbal with Alexmos32 which doesn't work.... but this is another subject :)

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

MikroKopter - Forum » Construction » Extension PCB - Leds - Hilfe !!! :)