MikroKopter - Forum » Newbie » Few questions after first flight with ARF Okto XL

Few questions after first flight with ARF Okto XL

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

Autor Neuer Beitrag
Mitglied
Hi all,

Finally I did my first flight with my ARF Okto XL.
The flight was very good, the okto was flying very smooth, GPS hold was perfect, AH was perfect,... :)

- Because it was my first (test)flight, I didn't put a payload on the kopter, only empty SLR2 ;)
I only found that the kopter was very sensitive to a small stick movement. Is this normal because I have no payload or do I have to get used to this? Are you
using an exp curve(non linear) on the sticks..? I'm using a MC32 trans.
I know that the XL is very powerfull, the difference is big compared to my okto (my okto is not so stick sensitive without payload).

- Do you start and land with AH and PH active? I've tried this and it seems no problem but it takes off a bit like a rocket because I almost need full throttle for taking off ;)

- Is it a good idea to asign AH and PH to the same switch? So I activate AH and PH together?

Thanks already!

Feel free to answer in Deutsch.

Best regards
Peter
Mitglied
Peter E meinte
Finally I did my first flight with my ARF Okto XL.
- Because it was my first (test)flight, I didn't put a payload on the kopter, only empty SLR2 ;)
I only found that the kopter was very sensitive to a small stick movement. Is this normal because I have no payload or do I have to get used to this? Are you
using an exp curve(non linear) on the sticks..? I'm using a MC32 trans.

I recommend that you use linear, not expo for the sticks.

If you find that you micro-copter react too agile for small movements I recommend that you in the settings, page Stick, change Nick/roll P from 6 to 5, perhaps even to 4. Then stick movement is less agile (less nervous). It makes softer movements for filming.

Peter E meinte
I know that the XL is very powerfull, the difference is big compared to my okto (my okto is not so stick sensitive without payload).

Which Okto did you have before? Which BL-Motor-Ctrl?

Peter E meinte
- Do you start and land with AH and PH active? I've tried this and it seems no problem but it takes off a bit like a rocket because I almost need full throttle for taking off ;)

- Is it a good idea to asign AH and PH to the same switch? So I activate AH and PH together?

Set AltitudeHold to 2 pos-switch, set PositionHold to a 3 pos-switch. Do NOT put on the same switch. You should be able switch them independently.

I have practically PositionHold permanent on. Also at take off and landing.

At take off I have AltitudeHold off, it makes propellers spool up faster and take off faster. When I reach 5 m height I switch AltitudeHold on and check that compass direction, satellite reception and battery level correspond to their values before take off. Then actual flight begins.
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 03.09.2016 20:34. »
Mitglied
Hi Foersom,

Thanks for your reply and good tips (dank u :) )

I'm going to set the P action for the nick/roll to 5 and 4 to test the reaction, now it's a bit nervous.

My other okto is an Okto2, I have to check which BL is inside but it's an older one.

Regarding the AH and PH, it's at this moment like you described so I'll keep it this way ;)

Thank you for the tip with AH off at take off, going to do this too :)

Another question:
If you activate coming home, does it implies auto landing too? I think not but just want to be sure before testing this ;)

Best regards - vriendelijke groeten
Peter
Mitglied
Hoi PeterE

Peter E meinte
My other okto is an Okto2, I have to check which BL is inside but it's an older one.

That one was probably with Robby 110 W motors, those are only for light load and not powerful.

Peter E meinte
If you activate coming home, does it implies auto landing too? I think not but just want to be sure before testing this ;)

No, ComingHome flies home at the selected altitude and stay at that altitude at the home location. Always set a coming home altitude that is 10-20 m than the surroundings.

I would recommend that you set Coming Home Orientation to "Rear To Home", because then you can easier take over manually when it has come close to home.

If you want automatic landing assign a switch as described on the Altitude page. I recommend to set landing speed to 8 (80 cm/s), not the default 12 that will most likely break landing legs, gimbal and camera if used.
Mitglied
Hi Foersom,

Thanks!

Yes, they look like the Robbe 110W! There is no datasticker on the motors but I've googled them on the name you suggested and it's correct.. :)

OK, I've already set the "rear to home" and 10m height and now I'm sure it will not come down at testing.
Thanks a lot for the tip regarding the landing speed, to be honest, I'm a little affraid to do (test) an auto landing...

Best regards
Peter
Mitglied
Peter E meinte
Yes, they look like the Robbe 110W! There is no datasticker on the motors but I've googled them on the name you suggested and it's correct.. :)

I must have a memory for numbers. ;)

Peter E meinte
OK, I've already set the "rear to home" and 10m height and now I'm sure it will not come down at testing.
Thanks a lot for the tip regarding the landing speed, to be honest, I'm a little affraid to do (test) an auto landing...

10 m height for coming home is much too low. Even on a flat field you are already 2 m high. When there is wind gusts the altitude can be off with several meters. Sometimes the ground is sloped without you noticing it. If you have not used it before set it to 20-25 m in an open flat field. And as always practice flight movements and settings, one day you will have a problem situation and then you react with the flight procedures you have practised.

In general locations look for tallest tree, tallest mast or house even if they are further away than where you intend to fly. Then add 10-20 m to their height and use that as coming home altitude. Sorry for not being more precise in previous message.

Peter E meinte

It is only the last ~10 m that it flies down so slow. If you start from 20-30 m it flies down faster (~3 m/s?), then change to the proper slow landing speed. During auto land you can always abort it by switch to auto start, then it stays air borne.
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 04.09.2016 12:24. »
Mitglied
Foersom meinte
Hoi PeterE

Peter E meinte

That one was probably with Robby 110 W motors, those are only for light load and not powerful.

Peter,

how much weight is it possible to lift with these motors?
Configuration: octo, BL-Ctrl 2, battery 4S

Thank you in advance
Mitglied
xenios meinte

Robbe Roxxy 2827-34, 110 W, max thrust 820 g. So for octo-copter max 6.56 kg thrust. For an agile copter divide by 3 = 2.2 kg. For a copter that can stay airborne but is slow to accelerate and break divide by 2 = 3.3 kg. This is for totally mass of copter and payload (MTOM).

This one has Robbe motors: Okto payload 1 kg. Remember that for a camera, the gimbal will add additional mass.
« Bearbeitet von Foersom am 05.09.2016 11:35. »
Mitglied
Zitat
10 m height for coming home is much too low. Even on a flat field you are already 2 m high. When there is wind gusts the altitude can be off with several meters. Sometimes the ground is sloped without you noticing it. If you have not used it before set it to 20-25 m in an open flat field. And as always practice flight movements and settings, one day you will have a problem situation and then you react with the flight procedures you have practised.

Thank you for this tip! I'm practising at an open field (RC club) to be safe.

Zitat
In general locations look for tallest tree, tallest mast or house even if they are further away than where you intend to fly. Then add 10-20 m to their height and use that as coming home altitude. Sorry for not being more precise in previous message.

Do not feel sorry!!! I'm happy with your input here Foersom :)

Zitat
It is only the last ~10 m that it flies down so slow. If you start from 20-30 m it flies down faster (~3 m/s?), then change to the proper slow landing speed. During auto land you can always abort it by switch to auto start, then it stays air borne.

Aha, ok, now I feel a little more safe when testing this.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Peter
Mitglied
Hi Xenios,

Zitat

The best explanation is the one from Foersom ;)

I buyed this kopter second hand and the seller told me the same, 1kg - 1,5kg max.
He used it with a canon G10 on a SLR2 gimbal.

I use this one without payload (only gimbal SLR2) just to practise flying... and get familiar with Mikrokopter ;)

Best regards
Peter
Mitglied
Thank you both Foersom and Peter,

I have just rebuilt my first octo and I was trying to figure out how much weight it can lift.
The total weight of my octo including 2 5200 4s batteries, gimbal and a lumix LX3, is ~2750 grams.
I will test it tomorrow and if doesn't react the way it should, I will use it for practicing and maybe attache to it a gopro.

Regards
Mitglied
Good luck Xenios! :)

Best regards
Peter

Neues Thema Antwort

Seite: 1

MikroKopter - Forum » Newbie » Few questions after first flight with ARF Okto XL